Harold Takooshian has been a member of the faculty at Fordham University since 1975, having begun his college teaching career at age 23. He has taught in both the U.S. and in South America. He was named a U.S. Fulbright Scholar to the USSR in 1987-88, and to Russia (fall of 2013) at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow.
Dr. Takooshian is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association, and has served as a national officer or President of Psi Chi (1993-2000), President of APA Divisions of International Psychology (2003) and General Psychology (2007), chair of the New York group of SPSSI, and a representative of APA to the United Nations. In 2010 Psi Chi honored Dr. Takooshian with the Florence L. Denmark National Faculty Advisor Award:
Dr. Takooshian's research interests focus on applied social/personality psychology, industrial psychology, applied psychometrics, attitude survey research methods, urban psychology, ethnicity and feminism, cross-cultural psychology, and student excellence. He is known for his encouragement of students' independent research, having sponsored over 200 student publications or conference publications.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Gender Psychology
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Organizational Behavior
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Linked publication: Takooshian, H., & Newman, S. (1998). Recognizing excellent psychology students. International Journal of Psychology, 367-369.
- Linked publication: Takooshian, H., Mrinal, N., & Mrinal, U. (1999). Research methods for studies in the field. In L. L. Adler & U. P. Gielen (Eds.), Cross-cultural topics in psychology (2nd ed., pp. 29-46). Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
- Linked course: Psychological Testing
- Linked course: Social Psychology
- Linked course: Urban Psychology
- NYC_Oct 27, 2013
- Psi Chi best practices 2013
- Takooshian, H. (2003). Counseling psychology's wide new horizons. The Counseling Psychologist, 31(4), 420-426.
- Rieber, R. W., Takooshian, H., & Iglesias, H. (2002). The case of Sybil in the teaching of psychology. Journal of Social Distress & the Homeless, 11(4), 355-360.
- Takooshian, H., & Rieber, R. W. (1996). Political correctness and social distress in academe: What's old, what's new, what's right and what's left? Journal of Social Distress & the Homeless, 5(2), 99-109.
Takooshian, H., & Newman, S. (1998). Recognizing excellent psychology students. International Journal of Psychology, 367-369.
- Linked other: Fordham_FIRST_2013
- Takooshian, H. A., & Stuart, C. R. (1983). Ethnicity and feminism among American women: Opposing social trends? International Journal of Group Tensions, 13, 100-105.
- Takooshian, H. (2005). Reviewing 100 years of cross-national work on intelligence. PsycCRITIQUES, 50(12).
- Guzewicz, T. D., & Takooshian, H. (1992). Development of a short-form scale of public attitudes toward homelessness. Journal of Social Distress & the Homeless, 1(1), 67-79.
- Takooshian, H., & O'Connor, P. J. (1984). When apathy leads to tragedy: Two Fordham professors examine "Bad Samaritanism." Social Action & the Law, 10(1), 26-27.
- Reynolds, R. I., & Takooshian, H. (1988). Where were you August 8, 1985? Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 26(1), 23-25.
- Takooshian, H., & Trusov, V. P. (1992). Post-Soviet psychology. In U. P. Gielen, & L. L. Adler (Eds.), Psychology in international perspective: 50 years of the International Council of Psychologists (pp. 54-69). Lisse, Netherlands: Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers.
- Takooshian, H., & Verdi, W. M. (1995). Assessment of attitudes toward terrorism. In L. L. Adler, & F. L. Denmark (Eds.), Violence and the prevention of violence (pp. 33-43). Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
Takooshian, H., Mrinal, N., & Mrinal, U. (1999). Research methods for studies in the field. In L. L. Adler & U. P. Gielen (Eds.), Cross-cultural topics in psychology (2nd ed., pp. 29-46). Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
- Linked other: SURVEYS_Global
Department of Psychology
113 West 60th Street
New York, NY 10023
- Phone: (212) 636-6393